Tuesday, October 07, 2008

debt resolve

So. On October 3, 2006 I entered into a debt management program. As a soon-to-be graduate, my credit card debt was mounting, and I needed to get it under control (especially with those ginormous loan bills-a-looming--a completely different story). I was at about $5,000 from roughly 6 or 7 different creditors. Some of these cards went to pay mechanic bills, and some, I'm ashamed to say, bought groceries and gas--even christmas gifts for family and friends. (!!! Never do that!) However, two years later I am under $2,000 from only 3 creditors. I hope to get it ALL paid off within the next year. This is a manageable goal that I can most certainly accomplish. At any rate, I said all this to say this-- with the debt crisis trickling down to the average everyday joe-- don't fall into the same trap I did. Live within your means. And if you start feeling the pressure-- get help. This program has worked wonders for me. No, my credit is not in fantastic shape because of it, but I can bet it wouldn't be in better shape now if it was left to me. I likely would have resorted to applying for MORE credit cards to pay off the debt already accrued and be in a mess of a situation. Sometimes that seemed to be a negative-- I can promise it wasn't. It seems so easy when you are in a tough spot-- but it is really not, long term. At any rate, those are my lessons learned. And I am proud that I am taking care of these bills all by myself, no parent help involved.

!

No comments: